Spicy Fried Rice with dried shrimps, carrots, green beans, eggs, and homemade fried chili paste.…
This Fried Chili Paste is the perfect accompaniment to your noodles and rice dishes. It is a versatile condiment to have in hand and is very easy to prepare.
Chilies are frequently used in Malaysian Chinese cuisine. Many consider food to be lacking in “oomph” unless accompanied by some spicy dish or condiment. Chili sauce is used liberally as a dip in many dishes from fried chicken to keropok (fish or shrimp crackers). Even clear soupy noodles are served with the signature cut red chilies or chili padi (bird’s eye chili) in soy sauce. Yes, the Malaysian Chinese love their chilies and it is no wonder that they have come up with all kinds of chili condiments to satisfy that spicy craving.
I will be sharing a few different types of chili condiments here but first up is this versatile Fried Chili Paste. It is a great accompaniment for noodles and is an essential finishing touch for Curry Laksa (Curry Mee) and Hokkien Hae Mee (Prawn Noodles). This Fried Chili Paste not only provides additional flavor to these two noodle dishes but also gives them a rich and appetizing color.
Similar Tools Used in Making This Fried Chili Paste
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
- 10 dried red chilies
- 3 red chilies (seeded and cut into pieces)
- 5 shallots (peeled)
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil (80ml)
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- Break dried chilies in half and squeeze out the seeds. Soak in hot water for 30 minutes to soften. Drain.
- Blend dried chilies, red chilies, and shallots with ¼ cup (60ml) water until smooth.
- Heat vegetable oil in a medium size saucepan over low heat. Add blended chili paste, salt, and sugar. Stir continuously until chili paste darkens and oil separates. This will take about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Remove and place in a jar.
Storage and Shelf Life
This Fried Chili Paste can be kept in the refrigerator for up to two weeks. Make a double or triple batch to freeze up to two months. It is a versatile and handy condiment to have on hand.