Diced Preserved Radish Long Beans Stir Fry (Chai Poh Tao) – a medley of diced vegetables with a sweet salty flavor that goes well with plain congee.
Congee or plain rice porridge is a popularly eaten by the Hokkien and Teochew people. As such there are many tasty side dishes made to go with the congee like this Diced Preserved Radish Long Beans Stir Fry (Chai Poh Tao). Its sweet and salty flavor perfectly complement the bland congee.
Chai Poh Tao – a Hokkien Side Dish
Chai Poh Tao is one of Mom’s favorite congee side dishes. If it is Mom’s favorite, you know you will be eating lots of it. Fortunately, I love it too. This, together with Preserved Radish Omelet (Chai Poh Nooi) were staple congee dishes when I was growing up.
Interestingly, my sons are beginning to enjoy these congee dishes as well especially after our vacation to Taiwan where congee was served for breakfast every morning. They were not too fond of it before the trip. I guess sometimes they need to “discover” it outside of the home to appreciate it. 😉
If you cannot find long beans, green/french beans are a good substitute. As for the tofu, I managed to buy fried firm tofu which did not require me to brown it first. You may want to pan fry firm tofu that is not fried before doing the stir fry.
Similar Products Used in Making This Diced Preserved Radish Long Beans Stir Fry (Chai Poh Tao)
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
T-fal Professional Total Nonstick Thermo-Spot Heat Indicator Fry Pan, 12.5 Inch, Black
Le Creuset of America Craft Series Medium Spatula – Marseille
Superior Quality Preserved Salted Radish – 8 oz
Diced Preserved Radish Long Beans Stir Fry (Chai Poh Tao)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 50 g dried shrimp (soaked for 5 minutes, drained, and roughly chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 6.5 oz firm tofu (diced) (184g)
- 1.8 oz preserved radish / chai poh (rinsed and diced) (50g)
- 6.5 oz long beans (rinsed and diced) (184g)
- 1 red chili (seeds removed and cut into chunks)
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1 tsp sweet soy sauce
- 2 tbsp water
- Heat vegetable oil in a large fry pan. Add prepared dried shrimps and stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Add garlic and continue to stir fry another 20 seconds.
- Then, add prepared firm tofu, preserved radish, long beans, red chili. Continue to stir fry for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Season with salt, sugar, sweet soy sauce, and water. Stir fry for another 2 to 3 minutes until most of the water has evaporated.
- Turn off stove and transfer to a serving dish.
Diced Preserved Radish Long Beans Stir Fry (Chai Poh Tao) is best eaten with plain congee or Sweet Potato Congee. It is also quite delicious eaten with rice. The sweet and salty flavor will surely to whet your appetite!
Leave a Reply