These mini, air fried Spicy Chicken Floss Rolls make a deliciously crispy and tasty snack. Guilt free with no greasy after taste.
Lately, we’ve been enjoying fried foods at our house, air fried that is. Let’s be honest. They may not taste as good as their deep fried counterpart but they sure do allow us to enjoy some crispy treats with less to no guilt. I am sure you will agree with me that, that is a good thing. 🙂
These mini wonton wrapped rolls are hardly a new thing as I remember eating them way back in Malaysia. They are usually store bought and very teeny tiny, not even a mouthful. Often times, the filling is made of spicy dried shrimp.
On the other hand, these Spicy Chicken Floss Rolls are a lot more substantial. They are two inches long, perfect for two crispy bites. If you wish, you can also do it in just one bite. 😉
Since the new year, I have been making meat floss. I made two batches of Bak Hu (Pork Floss) and to make these mini rolls, I made a batch of Spicy Chicken Floss flavored with lemongrass, turmeric, chili powder, and coconut oil. To be clear, this is not the Malay serunding which is also a meat floss. This is more in line with the Chinese style meat floss but flavored with favorite Malaysian spices.
The coconut oil was added to the chicken floss towards the end of cooking, giving it a mild coconut fragrance. I used only two teaspoons of coconut oil and I would highly recommend it. Please note that coconut oil found here is in solid form and is white in color, quite different from the liquid coconut oil I remember as a kid. The flavor is slightly milder too and I use it in small quantities to flavor some dishes.
Similar Products Used in Making These Spicy Chicken Floss Rolls
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
Ninja FG551 Foodi Smart XL 6-in-1 Indoor Grill
Winco UT-9 Coiled Spring Heavyweight Stainless Steel Utility Tong, 9-Inch
Spicy Chicken Floss Rolls
- 24 wonton wrappers
- 12 tbsp Spicy Chicken Floss
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Place a piece of wonton wrapper on a clean work surface with one of the pointed ends towards you. Place ½ tablespoon Spicy Chicken Floss on the wrapper.
- Fold the pointed end over the filling. Then fold in both the right and left sides of the wrapper.
- Moisten the remaining edges of the wrapper with a little water. Roll and seal. Place on a plate. Repeat with remaining wrappers and filling.
- Brush vegetable oil onto the mini rolls. Flip the rolls and brush the flip side with vegetable oil.
- Place air fryer basket in the unit and close the hood. Set air fryer to 350⁰F (180⁰C) for 10 minutes. Press start to begin preheating.
- When unit beeps, open the hood and arrange rolls in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Close hood to let rolls cook.
- When cooking is complete, remove Spicy Chicken Floss Rolls and allow them to cool completely before storing them in air tight containers.
- Consume within a week.
The Appearance of These Mini Spicy Chicken Floss Rolls
Deep fried rolls have a smooth appearance but these air fried rolls have a bumpy skin. They are brushed with just a tablespoon of vegetable oil before being air fried. You can also spray on the vegetable oil if preferred. Since there is so little oil used, they are not oily at all and will not give you that greasy after taste of deep fried rolls.
This recipe itself uses only 3 ingredients with the chicken floss as one ingredient. The fourth ingredient listed is a little water to seal the rolls. I will share the Spicy Chicken Floss recipe next. Please remember to check back for that.
Leave a Reply